Quality Sleep is Critical for Good Health

From: "Health Quest Podcast" <Steve@PROTECTED>
Date: February 15th 2020

Hello

I have just uploaded my latest interview

Lifestyle and good nutrition can improve your sleep

Dr. Erin StokesIn this interview Dr. Erin Stokes discusses the importance of sleep. Most of us know that lack of sleep has profound effects on how we feel and how we perform. When sleep deficits become chronic then we can experience many different complications. Dr. Stokes explains what happens to the body and mind when sleep is short and/or poor quality.

Dr. Stokes explains many of the factors that could be involved. It is critical that one explore the possible contributing factors. The first thing to consider is whether you have a medical concern including side effects from medication. If this is the case then you need to work with your health care professional as you explore your options. Even if you have a medical condition it is very possible that lifestyle and nutritional support would be beneficial.

A vector illustration of health benefits of sleep infographic

Sleep Disruptors

There are a lot of factors that can disrupt sleep. Learn to identify which factors may be important in your case.

  • Age – People often have more trouble sleeping well as they age.
  • Stress – Stress, worry and anxiety can easily disrupt sleep. Dealing with these causes is of primary importance.
  • Caffeine – Caffeine consumption is a common cause of poor sleep. Nicotine and alcohol can also be sleep disruptors.
  • Lack of a regular bedtime and routine – Go to bed at a time that allows 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
  • Excessive stimulation from electronic devices – No TV and leave your cell phone in another room.
  • Some prescription drugs and OTC medications – Make sure to explore this possibility with your doctor.
  • Light – Too much light and/or the wrong type of light influences our internal clock.
  • Jet Lag and Shift Work – These can disrupt our internal clock.
  • Pain and Other Medical Conditions – Pain, depression, GERD, restless legs are all possible contributors. Work with your doctor to address any medical conditions, but do consider the benefits of other lifestyle factors.
  • Sleep Environment – This can include light, sound, temperature, bedding and electronics.

Nutritional Sleep Support

In this interview, Dr. Stokes discusses the nutrients and herbs that are helpful to support healthy, restful sleep.

To read more and listen to the interview CLICK HERE.

You can also listen on iTunes and any podcast app.

Forward to a Friend

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

Health Quest Podcast Subscription List

Privacy Policy: